FORENSIC SERVICES TECHNICIAN T RAINEE / FORENSIC SERVICES TECHNICIAN
This recruitment is open until the position is filled.
First review of applications will occur on June 15, 2023.
Hourly Salary Range:
Forensic Services Technician Trainee: $23.83 - $31.93
Forensic Services Technician: $26.21 - $35.13
This position is part of a flexible classification. Qualified candidates may be hired at either level based on their experience, education and training as determined by the hiring authority.
The City of Tempe offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
• Pay Increases occur in July
• 12 Paid Holidays, 1 Personal Day, 8 hours Winter Holiday Leave
• Vacation Accrual; starts at 9.33 hours/month
• Sick Leave Accrual; 8 hours/month
• Uniform Credit Allowance
• Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
• Wellness Program Discount on health premiums
• Medical Reimbursement Program; $53/month
• Tuition Reimbursement; $6,000/year
• Participation in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 12.17% which includes a Long-Term Disability benefit
• Supplemental Retirement Plans through Nationwide; 457, 401K, and Employer contribution
To view the employee benefit summary, please visit:
Employee Benefit Summary
Department / Division:
Police / Criminal Investigations
This position is classified as safety sensitive.
Flexible 4/10 schedule
Shift work is required which includes working nights, weekends, and holidays.
The Forensic Services Technician will perform skilled technical work in a variety of criminal investigative environments.
Duties include, but are not limited to the following:
• Respond to crime/accident scenes.
• Search, identify, and document the scene and evidence.
• Collect and preserve physical and chemical evidence (biological, 2- and 3-D impressions, latent, firearm-related, trace).
• Apply various physical and chemical methods to develop latent evidence.
• Create a chain of custody of evidence.
• Prepare reports and records using a Records Management System (RMS).
• Testify at trial, hearings, defense interviews, and depositions.
Forensic Services Technician Trainee:
Work experience with a law enforcement agency in photography, physical and biological evidence, court testimony and fingerprint sciences is preferred.
Forensic Services Technician:
Requires one (1) year of experience in crime scene and/or accident photography, searching for and developing latent prints at crime scenes, and/or collection and preservation of evidence.
Candidates must have the minimum amount of work experience. Years of experience are based upon a full-time work schedule (2,080 hours per year). The sum of an applicant’s full-time and/or part-time qualifying work experience must meet or exceed the stated minimum qualification. Education will not substitute for the required work experience; however, related unpaid and/or volunteer work experience may be used as qualifying work experience.
Requires a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in natural science, forensic science, or criminalistics, or a degree related to the core functions of this position.
Certification, Licenses, and/or Registrations:
• Possession of, or, required to obtain within six (6) months of hire, an ACJIS Terminal Operator Certificate.
• Possession of a valid driver’s license
Forensic Services Technician
• Possession of, or, required to obtain within one (1) year of hire, a Crime Scene Certification through the IAI.
Applicants considered for this job classification must pass the following:
- Post offer/pre-employment drug screen. Employees in safety-sensitive job classifications are prohibited from all marijuana usage whether medical or recreational
- Post offer/pre-employment physical
- Police background check
- Polygraph examination
For a complete list of job descriptions for the City of Tempe go to:
Job Descriptions | City of Tempe, AZ
This position is FLSA Non-Exempt – eligible for overtime compensation and/or compensatory time.
Employees in this position are represented by the United Arizona Employees Association (UAEA).
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The City of Tempe is an Equal Opportunity / Reasonable Accommodation employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, familial status, age, disability, and United States military veteran status. Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will make a reasonable accommodation(s) during the recruitment & selection process. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting Human Resources at 480-350-8276. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation.
Some work experience (up to 5 years, non-manager)
Government & Public Administration
While all employers are vetted to meet the Maricopa Guidelines, the job postings are not individually reviewed. Students should be diligent in ensuring they are applying for positions that meet their needs and are not in violation of the Maricopa guidelines.