A positive future for every child
Southwest Human Development is Arizona’s largest nonprofit dedicated to early childhood development. The first five years of life are the most critical in a child’s development. At Southwest Human Development, our services improve lives and help families by supporting young children and their caregivers during this important time. Your skills, experience, and passion are needed at one of the nation’s largest nonprofits dedicated to early childhood development. Join our team and experience a long-term career which brings joy and satisfaction in knowing you make a difference. We offer over 40 programs and services to more than 140,000 children.
Why choose us?
* You will be rewarded with benefits, including zero contribution health plan options, 401K plan, wellness programming, and generous paid time off.
* You will have the opportunity to represent a highly respected non-profit agency in Arizona.
* You will enjoy a supportive and collaborative work environment.
Job title: Staff Accountant
The Staff Accountant will work with multiple Agency Program Managers, the Accounting Department, Department Directors, Controller, and the Chief Financial Officer to:
In this role you will:
* Work with CFO and Financial Analysts to prepare end of the month/quarter/year entries for two entities.
* Assist in preparation of financial statements as needed.
* Assist with annual budget process.
* Prepare payroll journal entries throughout the year as well as maintain employee listing in accounting system.
* Prepare monthly cash and investment reconciliation entries.
* Provide analysis and documentation of treatment of fixed assets.
* Prepare entries for prepaid expenses, accrued expenses, other liabilities, and other accounts as assigned by CFO.
* Work with CFO on financial analysis and accounting projects when necessary.
* Complete requests for agency’s direct deposit account information.
* Assist with agency’s insurance policy renewal and serve as main contact for certificates of insurance and agency insurance information.
* Other tasks as assigned by supervisor and other department management.
What it takes:
* Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or equivalent work experience
* Minimum four years’ experience in Nonprofit Accounting is preferred.
* Minimum four years experience in accounting/budgeting/planning/analysis
* Equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
* Excellent communication and organizational skills
* Must be self-sufficient and able to work independently.
* Proficient in Microsoft Office products
* Computer literate and meets the defined agency performance standards for this position.
* Possess an insured & reliable vehicle and a valid AZ driver’s license.
* Valid Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card - OR - must qualify for a valid Arizona Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card
SWHD takes the health and safety of our employees and the communities we serve very seriously. We strongly believe vaccination is a critical safety measure to protect each of us and the communities we serve. COVID vaccinations have proven to be highly effective at protecting people from getting COVID-19 or from getting severely ill from it.
Our core values embody Southwest Human Development’s commitment to services that uplift the lives of children, families and other care providers, and the communities in which they live. These values are intended to guide the professional development, ethical conduct, and skilled practice of all our staff, whatever their specific role within the agency. All staff are valued as making essential contributions to strengthening the foundation that Arizona’s children need for a great start in life. Learn more about our values and benefits here.
* 4 year(s): Minimum four years (4) experience in accounting/budgeting/planning/analysis
* 4 year(s): Minimum four (4) years’ experience in Nonprofit Accounting is preferred
* Bachelors or better in Accounting or related field
Licenses & Certifications
* Driver's License
* Auto Ins Certificate
* Fingerprint Card Level 1
* Planning & Organizing
* Microsoft Office
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)
Some work experience (up to 5 years, non-manager)
While all employers are vetted to meet the Maricopa Guidelines, the job postings are not individually reviewed. Students should be diligent in ensuring they are applying for positions that meet their needs and are not in violation of the Maricopa guidelines.